Wednesday, December 14, 2011

El Chopo y la Church

As I slowly begin to master the art of travelling by peseros (vans that have been gutted to hold up to ten passengers, weaving in & out of Mexico's side streets) in this crazy city, I begin to stumble upon more and more interesting sites that are not found in my guidebooks...and that, after all, is the true definition of getting to know your city =)

First is El Chopo, a university-funded museum near the historical center of the city.  To be honest, I wasn't too crazy about the exhibits, but I was impressed by the building...it kinda reminded me of the Eiffel Tower =) 

Museo Universitario El Chopo

Next, I stumbled upon a very unusual church:  I say unusual because here in México, the majority of structures built during the 19th century favor the Baroque school.  However, the  Iglesia de la Sagrada Familia is more in the Byzantine style and very pleasing to the eye...

Iglesia de la Sagrada Familia


My fave feature of the church were the ginormous and gorgeous windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment